SqW:Lab fellows were invited to interpret their favourite story, song or poem via a series of images that represent key plot points within that story for an ongoing project by Charlie Levine called The Tale Tellers.
Each selection of images tells a complete tale.
The Creative Process – James Baldwin
01. Perhaps the primary distinction of the artist is that he must
actively cultivate that state which most men, necessarily, must avoid:
the state of being alone.
02. The states of birth, suffering, love and death, are extreme states:
extreme, universal, and inescapable.
03. And a higher level of consciousness among the people is the only
hope we have, nor or in the future, of minimizing the human damage.
04. The artist cannot and must not take anything for granted, but must
drive to the heart of every answer and expose the question the answer
05. I am really trying to make clear the nature of the artist’s
responsibility to his society.
06. That nation is healthiest which has the least necessity to distrust
or ostracize or victimize these people — whom, as I say, we honor, once
they are gone, because, somewhere in our hearts, we know we cannot live
07. Societies never know it, but the war of an artist with his society
is a lover’s war, and he does, at his best, what lovers do, which is to
reveal the beloved to himself, and with that revelation, make freedom real.